As you might be aware October is National Disabilities Employment Awareness Month.
Indian Creek Foundation’s vocational and ICF Solutions divisions have been assisting these workers since 1975. With a mission of empowerment through employment, the Foundation has been able to enrich the lives of individuals with intellectual and developmental disabilities by providing them the opportunity to earn a steady income.
Here are some facts about the month long event.
National Disability Employment Awareness Month:
- In 1945, Congress enacted a law celebrating the first week in October as “Nationally Employ the Physically Handicapped Week.”
- In 1988, Congress expanded the week celebration to a month long event and changed the official name to “National Disability Employment Awareness Month”
- This month long celebration is governed by the Office of Disability Employment Policy, a division of the United States Department of Labor.
- Unemployment and Labor Force Participation Rates can be found on their web page www.dol.gov/odep
- ICF Solutions and the vocational division of Indian Creek Foundation assist workers with intellectual or developmental disabilities by providing empowerment through employment
- Area business benefit from the skills and services provided by these workers